Join Our Team
Union Health Center (UHC), a non-profit ambulatory healthcare center, is seeking a full-time, bi-lingual Spanish Registered Nurse. UHC is committed to serving the health care needs of union members, their families and retirees. This RN is part of a multidisciplinary team of a patient-centered medical home (PCMH) providing direct patient care, working collaboratively with primary care providers and supervising medical assistants in assigned clinical areas.
- -New York State Licensed Registered Nurse; BSN preferred
- -3 years ambulatory experience preferred.
- -Strong interpersonal, oral, written communication and problem-solving skills.
- -Excellent computer skills required; knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, electronic medical record
- -Language: Spanish bi-lingual
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits. UHC is an equal opportunity employer.
Medical Assistant – Bilingual Spanish
- ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Measures and/or records vital signs, allergies, weight, height and smoking status into the electronic medical record (EMR).
- Performs urine pregnancy test, peak flows, finger stick for glucose, monofilament foot exams and/or urine dipstick, if needed.
- Codes patient procedures into the EMR.
- Assists provider with refilling medication prescriptions and patient procedures as per Union Health Center (UHC) policies and procedures (P&P).
- Reviews EMR prior to scheduled appointments for completion of health maintenance recommendations, previous Pap smear, mammography, other radiographic studies and lab work. Updates flow sheet as per UHC P&P.
- Checks and stocks exam rooms with supplies. At the end of the work day, prepares exam rooms for the next work day.
- Sets up room for the provider.
- Communicates bi-directionally with greeter of patient’s arrival and/or appointment status.
- Escorts patient to the exam room. Initially assesses and prepares the patient for the provider.
- Reviews, confirms and updates the patient’s demographic data in the EMR registration document.
- Communicates with the provider and team.
- Assists the provider with translation, form completion and patient education, as needed.
- Updates the EMR as directed by the provider (medications, E&M coding).
- Schedules future appointments in the EMR and directs the patient to his/her next stop (lab, pharmacy, radiology, P.S.S.).
- Assists provider with visit confirmation/follow-up calls, preparing letters to patients or rescheduling appointments per UHC P&P. Makes reminder calls and generates correspondence per UHC P&P.
- Cleans and sterilizes instruments as needed.
- Answers telephones and documents clinical notes in the EMR per UHC P&P.
- Complete and sign notes in a timely manner.
- Completes electronic or paper referrals for patients.
- Collects information about walk-in patient’s clinical complaints and directs patient to the RN for triage, if necessary.
- Follows safety procedures and blood borne pathogen precautions as per UHC policies and procedures.
- Prepares materials for injections, nebulizer treatment, and in-office procedures as directed by the provider.
- Supports and reinforces policies re: patient care, infection control and safety.
- High school or Equivalency /GED Diploma and current Medical Assistant Registration (RMA) or Certification (CMA).
- Computer Literate.
- Language proficiency required in one of the target languages of the organization.
- Ability to communicate and work well with people at all levels; excellent team and “people” skills.
- Assist and maintain a strong working relationship with providers and professional members of the team.
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Initiates good judgment and ability to contribute in making decisions in a timely fashion.
- Actively seek out and support collaborative thinking and problem solving with others in the organization.
- Possess a professional appearance and presentation.